Jack Greene was convicted of not only shooting his own brother Tommy Greene 5 times, and kidnapping his niece, but also killing Sidney Burnett on July 23, 1991.
Jack Greene shot his brother, Turner “Tommy” Greene, stole his car and kidnapped his 16 year old niece. Before Tommy died, he identified Jack as his assailant. Immediately after shooting his brother, Jack left for Arkanasas where a couple days later, he invaded the Burnett home looking for Ms. Burnett. He found Mr. Burnett there and subsequently bound his hands and feet, attacked him with a can of hominy, tortured, and stabbed Mr. Burnett twice. He then stole Mr. Burnett’s truck and ran to Oklahoma. He was later arrested and had the .25-caliber handgun that was used in both murders.
Jack Greene was tried and convicted of killing Sidney Burnett in 1992 and sentenced to death in Arkansas.
His current execution date is 11/9/17.
For the murder of his brother and kidnapping, he received a life sentence in North Carolina.
He has filed an appeal early Monday morning debating his fitness for execution. The petition states that “Multiple doctors have diagnosed Jack Gordon Greene with a severe mental illness-specifically, Delusional Disorder” (taken directly from the Emergency Petition).
The petition is still under consideration and will be updated as soon as there is more information.
– Robert Hendrix and Elmer Scott (his cousin) were involved in a residential burglary where Scott was then apprehended by authorities.
– Scott entered into a plea deal with the authorities that says while he was guilty of the crime, he pled guilty to burglary, he had to serve two years, and testify against Hendrix.
– Hendrix was then arrested and charged with armed burglary. There was a plea offered to Hendrix; 4 years prison and 5 years probation.
– Prior to the scheduled court date, Hendrix told friends that he wanted to kill Scott to keep him from testifying against him because he didn’t want to take the offered plea. Hendrix also mentioned to his girlfriend, Denise Turbyville, various plans to carry out his intention.
– Hendrix then found a throw away gun that wasn’t traceable back to him and constructed a silencer for it. He took a mask, hat and gloves with him to Scotts home. Denise Turbeyville was the driver. She heard several shots fired and Hendrix returned to the car.
– Hendrix told Denise that he shot Scott in the head used a knife to kill his wife Michelle by slitting her throat. Hendrix further slashed Scott’s throat with the knife as well.
– The police arrested Hendrix and was subsequently tried for his crimes.