Here are my answers to these impeccably difficult questions….
Grammar (Time, one hour)
1. Give nine rules for the use of Capital Letters.
The beginning of the sentence, proper nouns, ummm. thats it.
2. Name the Parts of Speech and define those that have no modifications.
verb, noun, pronoun, prepositon, adjective, adverb, and umm what the heck, they all have modifications, right?
3. Define Verse, Stanza and Paragraph.
Oh, this one I can do. A Verse is a line or two within a stanza which is a set of verses typically within poetry. Paragraph can be used to describe a collection of sentences within prose or other scholarly writings.
4. What are the Principal Parts of a verb? Give Principal Parts of do, lie, lay and run.
I dont understand the question.
5. Define Case, Illustrate each Case.
This I kinda recognize. Kinda.
6. What is Punctuation? Give rules for principal marks of Punctuation.
Punctuation are things that guide the sentence. Such as periods, commas, ellipsis, quotes, exclamations, quesitons, and more! LOL. That is such a loser answer.
7-10. Write a composition of about 150 words and show therein that you understand the practical use of the rules of grammar.
Not gonna happen.
Arithmetic (Time, 1.25 hours)
1. Name and define the Fundamental Rules of Arithmetic.
umm. a + b=c, a-b=c, a*b=c, a/b=c
2. A wagon box is 2 ft. deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. wide. How many bushels of wheat will it hold?
How big is a bushel?
3. If a load of wheat weighs 3942 lbs., what is it worth at 50cts. per bu, deducting 1050 lbs. for tare?
4. District No. 33 has a valuation of $35,000. What is the necessary levy to carry on a school seven months at $50 per month, and have $104 for incidentals?
5. Find cost of 6720 lbs. coal at $6.00 per ton.,- How many pounds are in a ton?
6. Find the interest of $512.60 for 8 months and 18 days at 7 percent.
Right. I can’t balance my checkbook.
7. What is the cost of 40 boards 12 inches wide and 16 ft. long at $.20 per inch?
is that where you multiply 16×12 and that answer x40, and then you multiply that by .20?
8. Find bank discount on $300 for 90 days (no grace) at 10 percent. sure
9. What is the cost of a square farm at $15 per acre, the distance around which is 640 rods?
Whats a rod? The only rod I have is the one I put inbetween the windows so that no one can break in.
10.Write a Bank Check, a Promissory Note, and a Receipt.
I can write a check. and a receipt, but i need the receipt paper.
U.S. History (Time, 45 minutes)
1. Give the epochs into which U.S. History is divided.
oh i know this! umm.ummm ill come back to this one.
2. Give an account of the discovery of America by Columbus.
1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue, and he came over here looking for the west indies.
3. Relate the causes and results of the Revolutionary War.
England was being cruel, charging taxes on tea, tobacco and other things. And we were sick of it. So peace out England.
4. Show the territorial growth of the United States.
Show how? You want a map?
5. Tell what you can of the history of Kansas.
There’s a history? It’s stlil pretty vacant from what I know.
6. Describe three of the most prominent battles of the Rebellion.
7. Who were the following: Morse, Whitney, Fulton, Bell, Lincoln, Penn, and Howe? Morse, from the Morse code, Whitney did the cotton gin, Fulton no idea, Bell, did the phone thing, Lincoln the president freed the slaves. Penn, from Penn and teller? Who’s howe?
8. Name events connected with the following dates: 1607, 1620, 1800, 1849, and 1865? Those dates mean nothing to me.
Orthography (Time, one hour)
1. What is meant by the following: Alphabet, phonetic orthography, etymology, syllabication? the alphabet are the letters from a-z. phonetic are the sounds. i thought orthography was the same thing. etymology is where the word comes from. syllabication, is the splittibng up of words bysyllable.
2. What are elementary sounds? How classified? AEIOU and sometimes Y?
3. What are the following, and give examples of each: Trigraph, subvocals, diphthong, cognate letters, linguals?Ooh a dipthong is two letters making one sound…lol. i can’t explain it. otherwise, im lost.
4. Give four substitutes for caret ‘u’.- who really uses that?
5. Give two rules for spelling words with final ‘e’. Name two exceptions under each rule. Yup.
6. Give two uses of silent letters in spelling. Illustrate each. Choral- h is silent. i cnt think of another example.
7. Define the following prefixes and use in connection with a word: Bi, dis, mis, pre, semi, post, non, inter, mono, super.
semi- kind of
8. Mark diacritically and divide into syllables the following, and name the sign that indicates the sound: Card, ball, mercy, sir, odd, cell, rise, blood, fare, last.. NO
9. Use the following correctly in sentences, Cite, site, sight, fane, fain, feign, vane, vain, vein, raze, raise, rays.
i cited the web site.
my sight fails me
I feigned the beast
the weather vane
I will not die in vain
my veins carry my blood
the helicopter razed that field
i raised my hand
the sun has multiple rays
10.Write 10 words frequently mispronounced and indicate pronunciation by use of diacritical marks and by syllabication. Zarachoff lol.
Geography (Time, one hour)
1. What is climate? Upon what does climate depend? the climate is the general feeling of weather in an area. the temperature over time.
2. How do you account for the extremes of climate in Kansas? Extremes?
3. Of what use are rivers? Of what use is the ocean?Rivers carry water to and from places. The ocean holds the animals and also provides a way in which weather can happen.
4. Describe the mountains of N.A. they’re mountainous
5. Name and describe the following: Monrovia, Odessa, Denver, Manitoba, Hecla, Yukon, St. Helena, Juan Fermandez, Aspinwall and Orinoco. Monrovia, a city in Californa, Odessa? Denver, Colorado, St. Helena isn’t that in Montana? yep thats all I got.
6. Name and locate the principal trade centers of the U.S.
Those fell in 2001.
7. Name all the republics of Europe and give capital of each.
What do you mean by republic?
8. Why is the Atlantic Coast colder than the Pacific in the same latitude? Because it is.
9. Describe the process by which the water of the ocean returns to the sources of rivers. The water gets evaporated into the clouds, it rains, the rivers drink it up and then it goes back to the ocean.
10.Describe the movements of the earth. Give inclination of the earth. The earth is slightly inclined. the earth moves up and down, left and right at various times.
SO, the answer is no, i failed miserably.